Happiness and Emotional Health
When your mind is continuously focused on negative thoughts or when you spend all day under stress or in worry and fret, it influences how you think, feel, and act.
When you are happy and have JOY in your life, this also influences how you think, feel, and act.
One of the biggest reasons to shoot for happiness and JOY when it comes to your health, is that you will protect and support your emotional health and well-being. When we feel supported in life, it can make a huge difference, even if that support is coming from ourselves!
Happiness is an indicator that things are going well for you and that your emotional health is stable. Your emotions not only affect how you feel and your behaviors, but they also influence your physical health. So, if you are unhappy and your emotional health is low, then your physical health will suffer, too.
Your emotions can influence your blood pressure, your blood sugar level, your heart rate, your immune system, and much more. When you allow your emotions to control your choices, you might end up making unhealthy choices in what you eat or drink as well as other lifestyle decisions that influence your health. Allowing negative feelings or stress to dominate your emotional health can lead to a lack of self-care and influences everything in your life, including your well-being.
This can also affect all of those around you and it can become very emotionally stressful for everyone as a by-product. The happier and more JOYful we can be, helps not only us to feel, act, and think better, but it helps everyone around us as well… even our pets, believe it or not 🙂
Find ways everyday to cultivate more happiness in your life. Here are a few tips:
- Allow yourself to be happy. Many people, because they are feeling low or blue, believe that they are not worthy of happiness. Command and declare out loud to yourself that you indeed deserve and are worthy of happiness.
- Work on building your self-esteem. The more confident you are in yourself, the more likely you are to be happy and make positive choices for your health and well-being.
- Be flexible and adaptable to change. When you resist change, you will find yourself frustrated and unhappy and still having to deal with your new reality. Choosing to go with the flow helps you accept change and move forward. This one is especially important at this time.
- Live in the present. Thinking too much about past mistakes or worrying about the future will not improve your happiness and will only lower your sense of well-being. Learn to appreciate what is currently going well in your life.
- Learn to cope with stress. Finding ways to reduce or minimize stress is excellent, but stressful things will inevitably happen. Be sure you have strategies for dealing with stress in your life.
- Maintain relationships. Having a support system and people you care about will help increase your happiness and improve your well-being. And remember YOU can be a support system to yourself. Never forget that. It starts at home 😉
- Get outside. Your body needs sunlight for Vitamin D, which helps with your mood, and spending time outside lowers stress and improves your outlook. I have written many posts about the healing power of the sun and you can read those here: https://maggieholbik.blog/category/sunshine/
- Get regular exercise. Exercise not only improves your physical health but helps you reduce stress and allows you to feel emotionally more balanced. And it always just ‘feels good’ to move your body and to clear your mind.
- Learn to recognize and process your emotions. Neglecting your feelings can lead to extremely negative consequences for your health, so be sure you are paying attention to how you feel. The secret is to acknowledge your feelings or the feeling you are feeling, but to not stay ‘stuck’ in it. Feel it, address it and move through it. In my many years of my Life Coaching practice this one tip has been monumental in helping people when working with their emotions.
Just engaging in these simple, daily routines and habits can help improve your outlook and allow you to feel happier in life, which will enhance your emotional health immensely. And always remember to be kind to yourself. If you need help practicing kindness for yourself and others, I have some posts on that too. Here is the link to those.